- 1 (17 to 18-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Cream Cheese and Orange Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Oil, for frying
- 1 recipe Pumpkin Cake
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese and Orange Frosting
- 1 recipe Frying Batter
For the Pumpkin Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
In a large mixing bowl combine and beat with a hand held electric mixer all the ingredients until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter between the 2 prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in their pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese and Orange Frosting:
For the Fry Batter:
Whisk together all the ingredients in a large shallow bowl.
Heat the oil in a very large Dutch oven, must be at least 11-inches wide.
Dip 1 of the cake layers in the batter and gently place it in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter to drain. Repeat with the 2nd cake layer. Let the fried cakes cool slightly and then frost the top of 1 layer. Place the 2nd layer on top of it and frost. Don't frost the sides, it will be pretty to see the layers of frosting and crispy fried cake.